Sunday, March 09, 2008

My first reflective essay in Usyd

This is the 1st reflective essay I made in Master of Medical Education Program

Hi all..

Probably this is my prominent problem about approach to learning ,since the result of questionnaire indicated that I had surface approach to learning with S (25), D (18), and A (17 ). I just realized that it had been happened for a long time since I was in high school until I got medical doctor behind my name. I tried to remember and analyzed why this thing occurred and what factors influenced the way I learned.

Firstly, I had a lot of subjects to be learned at the same time, for instance I have about 6-7 subjects per semester with wide range of material in every subject, so it made me hard to focus with particular subject because I had to memorise so many things in it with no emphasize to subject which had relation to real world. I was anxious that if I missed something, I wouldn’t get a good result in examination, so every word I kept in my mind for a temporary time because soon I would forget all the things just after the examination finished. This related to assessment which asked questions that only depended on our memory by giving multiple choice questions, even the questions were reproduced from previous exam.

Secondly, teaching and learning activities tended to be one direction, known as teacher-centred, which considered teacher as a source of knowledge, in term that he or she knew anything and this generated depending students with no curiosity to find other sources . Unfortunately, I was included to this group of students who tried to learn from handout or notes of lecturers only. At the other hand, teacher often motivated their students to think systemically and holistically, for example how to connect their present knowledge with prior knowledge in order to make their learning to be more meaningful. And at the other side students lacked of awareness how to build their maturity in learning activities by doing it by theirselves. Sometimes I didn’t know how to relate my previous knowledge even basic medical knowledge with clinical situation when I was in clerkship and that supposed to be hard effort for me dealing with such circumstance.

I hope that what I’m learning now will change approach to learning in my place. There should be improvement from many aspect which involved teachers, students, and learning environment as well.

Anyone has the same experience with me ? :)

1 comment:

Marshmallow said...

wah, jangan bawa-bawa assignment dunk ke blog. syerem amat...

Kusemat cinta berbalut doa di kedalaman samudera hati orang - orang terkasih.......